St. Nicholas, Simpson, Buckinghamshire
Description
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a central tower, restored in 1930, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to the Hanmers, including one by Bacon to Sir Walden Hanmer bart. d. 1873, and a brass tablet in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, to whom also an obelisk of Cornish granite was erected: in the porch is a tablet of oak bearing the names of all from this parish who served in the Great War, 1914-18: the chancel was restored at the cost of the late Sir Wyndham Edward Hanmer bart. of Stockgrove (d. 1887), in 1873. when the transepts were restored and the tower underpinned: the nave was restored in 1904: there are 200 sittings.
Church Records
The present parish register dates from the year 1718; the earlier ones have been lost.
