St. Michael and All Angels, Thornton, Buckinghamshire
The church of St. Michael and All Angels consists of a nave, south aisle, and west tower built in the 14th century, and a north aisle, rebuilt about 1850: it is picturesquely situated in the grounds of Thornton Hall; the tower contains a clock and 3 interesting bells, with inscriptions; the lower stage of the tower forms a porch: the chancel has been pulled down; the interior was refitted at the beginning of the 20th century by Thomas Sheppard esq. then lord of the manor, when two altar tombs, with brasses of the Ingletons, were removed, and the brasses placed on the floor; these still remain and represent - 1, Robert Ingleton esq. in armour, with his three wives, 1472, all under a quadruple canopy. which is very rare: 2, Jane, daughter and sole heir of Robert Ingleton and successively wife of Humfrey Tyrrell and Alexander Seynet Johns; she died in 1557; 3, George Tyrrell, her son: there are also effigies in alabaster of John Barton, founder of a chantry here, ob. 1443, and of his wife Isabella; these were removed at the time above mentioned from under an arch between the body of the church and the chancel, to the west end, where they were placed on either side of the entrance: there are 120 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1562.