UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire


The church of St. Mary the Virgin, erected in 1866 on a new site near the centre of the village, about half a mile from the old church, is a building of flint and red brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western tower containing 8 bells: two of which were added in 1931: there is a monument, with marble effigies, to the memory of three children of Edmund Brudenell, lord of the manor in the time of Queen Elizabeth; the monument was removed here from the old church by faculty in February, 1899: there are 160 sittings, The old church of St. Mary the Virgin, now in ruins, retains in the chancel a piscina and an Early English window, and the nave has a 12th century archway.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1699.

St. Mary the Virgin
Stoke Mandeville

Denomination:Church of England