St. James, Great Horwood, Buckinghamshire
The parish church of St. James is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, two north chapels (one used as a vestry, the other as an organ chamber), north and south porches and an embattled western tower with a turret at the south-west angle, terminating in a spirelet; the tower contains a clock and 6 bells and a sanctus bell: the windows of the chancel are Decorated, the nave and tower Perpendicular; the church retains four piscinae, triple sedilia, a brass to Henry Virgin, priest, dated 1487, with effigy in academical dress, and two monuments of the Barker family: in the church is a painting of St. George, bearing on his shield the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was thoroughly restored in 1874 and half an acre added to the churchyard at a total cost of £5,500; in 1885 the east window was filled with stained glass, and a reredos of mosaics erected at the cost of the Rev. Simon Thomas Adams M.A. rector 1839-89: the organ was restored in 1923: there are 448 sittings. In the churchyard wall is a war shrine presented in 1917 by Mrs. Bishop; the lych-gate was presented by Mrs. Lambton in 1910.
The parish register dates from the year 1600.