St. Peter, Gayhurst, Buckinghamshire
Description
The parish church of St. Peter is a small edifice of stone in the Italian style, by Wren, and finished in 1728, at the expense of George Wrighte esq, who purchased the estate in 1704: it consists of chancel and nave, with a low square western tower surmounted by a capola and containing one bell: in the church is a monument by Roubiliac, to Sir Nathan Wrighte, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, 1721, with effigy in robes, and his son George: there is also a stone tablet bearing the names of the men connected with the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was restored in 1883 by J. W. Carlile esq. of Gayhurst House, and now affords 100 sittings.
Church Records
The parish register dates from the year 1728.
