UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Augustine, Burrough Green, Cambridgeshire


The church of St. Augustine is an ancient structure of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, restored in 1710: in the north wall of the chancel are three richly ornamented arched recesses, one of which incloses the recumbent effigy of a knight in armour with crossed legs; the next has also a male effigy with a female figure resting beside it; and the third incloses the effigy of a Norman knight, with another of a squire or attendant at the foot, un-armoured; another figure, female, has been removed to the west end of the church; the whole are mutilated and without dates or names, but are presumed to be to the De Burgh family: the font is dated 1672, but the most ancient portions of the church probably date from the 13th century: the building was restored and new-roofed in 1878-90 at a cost of £725, and the organ restored in 1903 at a cost of £140: the church affords 300 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1571.

St. Augustine
Burrough Green

Denomination:Church of England
Built:13th c.