UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

The Holy Trinity, Bottisham, Cambridgeshire


The church of the Holy Trinity is a beautiful edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and western Galilee porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells: the chancel retains an Early English piscina and sedilia, and there is also an Early Decorated chancel arch, with a Perpendicular stone screen: on the south wall of the chancel is a marble tablet to the Rev. William Pugh, vicar from 1812, dated 1825: the stained east window and the reredos are memorials to Col. Jenyns, one of the "six hundred" at Balaclava (October 25th, 1854), who died in 1873: at the east end of the north aisle is an oak screen, apparently of the Decorated period, which incloses two monuments, one to Margaret, daughter of William Coningesbye, of King's Lynn, and another, with effigies in marble and cherubs supporting a canopy, to Leonettus and Dorothea, children of William and Elizabeth Allington, ob. 1638: there is also here an altar tomb of Purbeck marble, with the matrix of a brass effigy and canopy and panelled sides relieved by shields; the inscription on the margin, now lost, commemorated Elyas de Beckingham, appointed a justiciar of the Common Pleas, 15 Edward I. (1285); he retired from the bench, or died, in 1305; in 1289, when all the judges were apprehended by the king on charges of bribery and corruption, Beckingham and Metingham alone were honourably acquitted: in the same aisle is a marble tablet to Hester Paulina Lushington, d. 1795: the south aisle has an arcading along its whole length, inclosing a series of stone coffin slabs: a screen similar to that on the north side incloses a large tomb of white marble to Sir Roger Jenyns, d. 1740, and Dame Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1728, with their effigies in bed attire; and near this tomb, against the south wall, is a plain marble tablet to Soame Jenyns esq. M.P. and controversialist, and son of Sir Roger Jenyns, who died 18th Dec. 1787: on the south side is a beautiful piscina and a sedile: there are also slabs inscribed to Francis Hessel, d. 1659, and John Lack, d. 1742: the church was restored and warming apparatus fixed during the period 1875-91, and affords about 350 sittings.

Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1561; marriages, 1563; burials, 1569.

The Holy Trinity

Denomination:Church of England