UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

All Saints, Barrington, Cambridgeshire

Description

The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, with Perpendicular windows and timber work, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, a chapel contiguous to the north aisle and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel, which is Decorated, retains a piscina and priest's doorway and has four windows with flowing tracery; the nave piers are Early English, dating from about 1180, but the clerestory is Perpendicular; in the tower is an aumbry with ancient oak doors: the north chapel, used as the burial place of the Bendyshe family, is of Perpendicular date: the nave is seated with open benches of the 15th century, handsomely carved, and the pulpit is enriched with Jacobean work: the font, a square basin of Norman date, stands on a Decorated base: the rood staircase is perfect: in the south aisle is a fine oak chest, bound with iron: the church plate bears the date 1569: the church was repaired during the period 1874-91 at a cost of £851, and affords 300 sittings.

Church Records

The register of marriages dates from the year 1570; baptisms, 1572; burials, 1570.

All Saints
Barrington
Cambridgeshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Ely
Sittings:300
Graveyard:Yes