All Saints, Wytham, Berkshire
The church of All Saints, first built by the monks of Abingdon abbey about 1480, was rebuilt in 1811 by Montagu, 5th Earl of Abingdon (d. 16 Oct. 1854), who removed here and most carefully incorporated in the new structure and its surroundings some of the very interesting fragments of Old Cumnor Hall; the present building is of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 3 bells: on the south side are three windows of the Late Decorated period, brought from Old Cumnor Hall; in the church are brass effigies of a man in armour and his wife, c. 1455, but much mutilated; the inscription is lost, but the figures are supposed to represent either Richard de Wygtham and Alice (Daunsey) his wife, or her daughter Agnes and her husband, William Browning; there is also a monument to Edward Purcell, gentleman usher to Charles II. and brother of Henry Purcell, the distinguished musical composer; the east window is stained and the windows on the north side retain glass roundels of Perpendicular date, figures of the Virgin and Saints, and some symbols; the porch is Late Perpendicular; the doorway of the west wall of the churchyard was removed here from Cumnor and has above it the legend; another doorway bears the date 1372, but this of doubtful accuracy: there are 120 sittings. The Rev. the Hon. Henry William Bertie D.C.L., V.D. and senior fellow of All Souls' College, who died 31 Dec. 1894, was buried here 3 Jan. 1895.
The register dates from the year 1557.