The Holy Trinity, Windsor, Berkshire
The church of the Holy Trinity, in Trinity place, the foundation stone of which was laid by the late Prince Consort, on the 4th April, 1842, is a cruciform building of brick, in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave of seven bays, aisles, transepts and a western tower with pinnacles and spire, containing one bell: galleries surround the interior on three sides, on the face of which are inscribed the names of the officers and men of the Guards who fell during the Crimean war, 1,800 in all: in 1881 handsome carved oak choir stalls were erected at the cost of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn bart. to the memory of his nephew, who was drowned at Windsor weir: in 1882 a stained window was inserted in the chancel by public subscription to commemorate the deliverance of Her Majesty Queen Victoria from assassination at Windsor; communion rails of carved oak were erected at the same time: the church also contains monuments to Gen. Sir Thomas Myddelton Biddulph K.C.B. keeper of the Queen's privy purse, 1867-78; Henry, 4th Baron Rossmore, Lieut. 1st Life Guards, d. 28th March, 1874: Sir Algernon Peyton bart. capt. 1st Life Guards, d. 25th March, 1872; to Thomas, 4th Earl of Ranfurly, capt. Grenadier Guards, died in Abyssinia, 10th May, 1875, and to Col. the Hon. Oliver Montague, d. 24th Jan. 1893; the stained east window was given by the Grenadier Guards; others in the south and west by the Coldstream Guards; the north transept window was erected by the Rev. A. Robins M.A. rector 1873-99, to the memory of the Duke of Clarence and Avondale K.G. d. 14 Jan. 1892, and was unveiled by His Majesty King Edward VII. then Prince of Wales, 12th August, 1892; the pulpit was presented by the Scots Guards and the font by the non-commissioned officers and privates of the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards: the reredos was painted by Mrs. Robins, wife of the Rev. A. Robins: a chapel adjoining the chancel has been built by the officers of the 1st Life Guards, in commemoration of their comrades who fell in the Egyptian campaign, 1883: a baptistery was opened in 1900, as a memorial to the Rev. Arthur Robins M.A. (rector 1873-1900); and three memorial brasses were placed in 1901-02 by the regiments of Household cavalry, to the officers and men who fell in South Africa: the church will seat 1,400 persons.
The register of the Holy Trinity dates from the year 1844.