The Holy Trinity, Theale, Berkshire
The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1832, at the sole expense of the late Mrs. Sheppard, of Amport, Hants, under the direction of her brother, Dr. Routh, the late venerable president of Magdalen College, Oxford, is a building of freestone in the Early English style, from the designs of the late Mr. E. W. Garbett, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave and a fine south-eastern tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel was added in 1892 at a cost of nearly £2,000, by Mrs. Butler, in memory of her husband, the Rev. Thomas Butler B.D. rector 1845-87: the west front is a much reduced copy of that of Salisbury cathedral, and the tower is to some extent reproduced from the old bell tower formerly on Salisbury close: the interior is lofty, the roof being groined, and delicately coloured: an ancient chantry of Perpendicular date, removed from Magdalen College Chapel, Oxford, bas been re-erected on the north side of the chancel, and two doorways from the same building have also been inserted in the walls: on the south side of the chancel is a low canopied tomb, in memory of Dr. Martin Joseph Routh, a modern copy of an abbot's tomb of the 13th century in Tewkesbury Abbey: many of the windows in the nave are stained: those in the apse are good examples of the work of the late Mr. J. E. Kempe: there are 300 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1832.