UK Genealogy Archives logo

All Saints, Swallowfield, Berkshire

Description

The church of All Saints is a structure of flint, built in 1256 by John le Despencer, then Baron of Swallowfield, and was restored in 1862-70 by the late Sir Charles Russell bart.: it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with wooden belfry containing 5 bells; the tower is supported on wooden piers fixed in the floor, from which the bells are hung: in the church are several monuments and brasses; Sir John le Despencer died in 1274 and was buried here: on restoring the church his remains were found halfway between the south door and the chancel screen in a stone coffin, surmounted by a stone cross: there are 300 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1539.

All Saints
Swallowfield
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Oxford
Sittings:300
Graveyard:Yes