UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Speen, Berkshire

Description

The mother church of St. Mary, situated in a valley, was, with the exception of the ancient north aisle and chancel, almost entirely rebuilt in 1860 at the expense of the Rev. H. W. Majendie M.A. vicar from 1819, and the tower was rebuilt in 1871 as a memorial to him: the present church is a structure of flint in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower containing 8 bells: there are several stained windows: in the north aisle is an altar tomb, with effigy in armour, to John Baptiste Castillion, a Piedmontese, who died in 1597, and a monument to Dame Elizabeth Castillion, wife of his son, Sir Francis Castillion kt. who died in 1603; she is represented habited in a farthingale and flowered gown and veil, almost covering the body; there are also monuments to the Craven family, including one by Canova to Elizabeth, Baroness Craven and Margravine of Anspach, who died in January, 1828: there are 350 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1629.

St. Mary
Speen
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Oxford
Sittings:350
Graveyard:Yes