St. Andrew, Sonning, Berkshire
The church of St. Andrew is a large edifice of flint and stone, dating in part from the 11th century, and consists of a spacious chancel with aisles, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 8 bells and a clock: the arches on the south side of the chancel are elliptical; those on the north side are pointed, on clustered piers, the easternmost arch being richly sculptured with figures in stone representing on one side Our Lord blessing the Apostles; and on the other, figures of kings and queens, with the Virgin and Child as a keystone; this arch serves as a canopy to a monument erected to the memory of the Rev. Hugh. Pearson, canon of Windsor and vicar of Sonning, 1841-82: in the south aisle is a modern marble monument with brasses to various members of the family of Palmer, of Holme Park, and here also is a painted monument of marble to Katherine, Lady Lidcott, 1620, with her effigy kneeling at a desk: a mortuary chapel, separated from this aisle by an oak screen, is almost entirely allotted to memorials of this family: and the belfry contains a monnment of black marble to Thomas Rich, alderman of Gloucester, 1613, and to Sir Thomas Rich bart. of Sonning, his son, ob. Oct. 15, 1667: in the wall by the vestry door are two curious tablets, dated respectively 1533 and 1605: in the vestry, north of the chancel, is a mural inscription to Robert Wright S.T.P. Oxon and others; and below to Robert (1533) and Agnes (1579), probably children, with a shield of arms: on the floor of the nave are brasses to Laurence Fyton esq. bailiff of Sonning, 1434; William Barker, steward of the lordship of Sonning, 1549, and Anne his wife; William Barker esq. 1575, and Anne (Stoughton) his wife; Anne (Barker), wife of William Staverton, of Oakingham, gent. 1589; and Elizabeth, daughter of Sir George and Dame Ann Chute, 1627; in the north aisle is a fine tomb to Anna, wife of Sir John Clarke bart. of Salford, Warwick, 1654: and there are also memorials to William (Scott), first and only Baron Stowell, who died Jan. 28, 1836; to Viscount Sidmouth and to E. Golding esq.: there are memorial windows to Hugh Henry and Caroline Pearson, and one, inserted in 1893, to William Gregory, a former organist: the font is of Caen stone with a lofty canopy of oak: in a niche over the door of the north porch is a figure of St. Andrew, the patron saint: the church was completely restored in 1853, and further restorations were effected during the period 1879-90, at a cost of £900: there are 800 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1592.