St. Faith, Shellingford, Berkshire
The church of St. Faith, rebuilt in 1652 and incorporating portions of an ancient structure of Norman date, consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and an embattled western tower with spire and containing 4 bells: the reredos is of oak, handsomely carved: the vestry was added in 1913: in the south wall of the chancel is a piscina and a table inscribed to John Packer, ob. 1682: on the north side is a fine monument to Robert Packer, d. 4th April, 1731, and Maria, his wife: in the nave is a brass to Mary Knapp, ob. 23rd Sept. 1621, and a splendid, monument of marble with bust, to Sir Edward Hannes kt. physician to Queen Anne: another, with arms, is inscribed to William Flower, 2nd Viscount Ashbrook, who died at the Manor House 30th August, 1780; and to William 3rd Viscount, who died 6th January, 1802: there are six stained windows, including one presented in 1890 by Thomas L. Goodlake esq. in memory of his mother, who died in 1889: in the churchyard are memorials to Dorothy Clayton, ob. 3rd October, 1658; Alice, wife of Richard Clayton, ob. 5th September, 1643; and a marble cross to Susan Du Pré, d. April 23rd, 1874: a new organ was provided in 1912: there are 150 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1558.