UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Nicholas, Remenham, Berkshire


The church of St. Nicholas, completely restored in 1870, is an edifice of cut flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the choir seats and altar rails and the wrought-iron gates on the south side of the chancel were the gift of the late John Noble esq.: on the west wall, under the tower, is a brass with effigy and shield of arms, to Thomas Maryet, of Remenham esq. ob. 22 December, 1591; and another brass to John Newman, pastor, ob. 1602, with effigy in ruff collar and preaching gown: a new vestry and sacristy were added in 1892, at a cost of £450, and in 1893 a stained window was presented by Mrs. Noble, at a cost of £350, and a pulpit erected as a memorial to the late John Noble esq. by his children, at a cost of £93: new oak seats were erected in 1914 at a cost of £400 as a memorial to the late Mrs. Lily Noble by her children: three stained windows were placed in the apse in 1900, to the memory of the Rev. Brisco-Owen, some time rector here, and his wife: the church affords 150 sittings. The lych-gate, at the entrance to the churchyard, was erected in 1868 by the late John Noble esq.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1697.

St. Nicholas

Denomination:Church of England