UK Genealogy Archives logo

All Saints, North Moreton, Berkshire

Description

The church of All Saints is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the later Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch and a western tower, 56 feet high, containing 5 bells; at the south-east angle is a handsome chapel called "Stapleton's Chantry," erected in the 13th century, with a window retaining some ancient stained glass and a piscina formed in a splay of the east window; a deed of Edward III. exists giving permission to Sir Miles Stapleton to alienate 25 acres of land for use of the priest of this chantry; the chancel walls are decorated with modern paintings: there are two stained windows, and a reredos of coloured marbles, with a representation of the Crucifixion in the centre, wrought in mosaic: a portion of the rood stairs and the doorway remains: there are 260 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1558.

All Saints
North Moreton
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Oxford
Sittings:260
Graveyard:Yes