St. Nicholas, Hurst, Berkshire
The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone in the Transitional and later styles, consisting of chancel, with south aisle (added in 1876), nave, south porch, aisles and an embattled western tower, rebuilt in 1612, and containing a clock and 8 bells: the chancel is separated from the nave and aisle by a screen of elaborately carved oak, surmounted by the Royal arms and Prince of Wales's plume, richly gilt; five large pillars with arches of various dates, from the 12th century downwards, form the arcade to the north aisle, and three arches in the Middle-Pointed style separate the south aisle from the nave; the pulpit is of carved oak in the Jacobean style, and there is a splendid marble monument, of the 17th century, to Lady Margaret, widow of Sir Henry Savile kt. provost of Eton and founder of the Savilian professorships of astronomy and geometry at Oxford; it has six marble figures in the attitude of prayer, under a canopy with drapery, supported on each side by an angel, the whole of exquisite workmanship: there is also a brass to Richard Waude, "aulae proquestor" to Henry VIII., Edward VI. and Queens Mary and Elizabeth, ob. 1574; his wife, Colubra, and 17 children, with effigies and 14 verses; and another brass to Alice, eldest daughter of Richard Ward esq. "cooferer" to Queen Elizabeth, and wife of Thomas Harrison esq. ob. c. 1600; this brass has her effigy in a bed, she having died in childbed: in 1876 the nave was restored at the expense of Miss Palmer, of Sonning, at a cost of £4,000; in 1903 the chancel was redecorated, and in 1908 the north chapel was furnished and new vestry added at a cost of £315: in 1909 a new organ was presented by T. R. Harman esq. of Sindlesham: in the south aisle is a memorial window presented by the family of the late T. R. Harman esq. of Sindlesham: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Archibald Allen Cameron M.A. vicar 1832-80; in 1893 a memorial window was erected to Mrs. Cameron, and in September, 1905, another to Thomas Harrison and Ann Caroline, his wife: there are 400 sittings. The churchyard was extended in 1903.
The register dates from the year 1583.