St. Andrew, East Hagbourne, Berkshire
The church of St. Andrew, in East Hagbourne, is a building of stone and rubble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel and nave of six bays, both clerestoried, aisles, north and south porches, an embattled western Perpendicular tower, with a stair turret and on the roof a unique bell-cot, with canopy and pinnacles, in which hangs one small bell, the belfry containing a fine peal of 8 bells: the chancel is in part Transitional, and has a good open timbered roof with carvings of interesting character, a locker, trefoiled piscina and a large Perpendicular east window: the north aisle or chapel was built by John York, as appears from inscribed brasses still remaining in it; the earliest is that of "Claricia Wyndsore, formerly lady of Westhakborn, and wife of John York, who caused this chapel to be made;" she died March, 1403; the second commemorates John York himself, "founder of this aisle," who died 15th July, 1413: there is a third inscription to John York (probably a son of the foregoing) and Johanna his wife, both of whom died 5th of September, 1445: in this aisle is also a handsome marble monument to John Phillips esq. carpenter at Windsor Castle to George I. and II.; he accumulated considerable property in the neighbourhood, most of which, by purchase from his representatives, is now the property of Lady Wantage, and there is some stained glass and a Decorated piscina: the south aisle is Perpendicular, and retains a piscina and a hagioscope: the chancel arch and the arcades on the south side are Transition Norman; the north arcade of the nave has three Early English arches, but the aisle itself is Decorated, and has a door of the same date; the nave has a flat open timbered roof, which with the clerestory, is Late Perpendicular: the lower part of the rood screen remains, with the staircase and the original door: the pulpit and octagonal font are both Perpendicular: in the chancel there is a fine Jacobean brass to "Christian Keate, wife and widow of Hugh Keate, of Hodcott, in the county of Barkes, gent.;" it has kneeling figures of both, with four sons and four daughters; he died 23rd March, 1613, "and was buried in the parish chancel of Westildsley: she died 14th August, 1627;" "William Keate, their youngest sone erected this memoriall." The church was substantially repaired and well restored in 1859-60, under the superintendence of W. J. Hopkins esq. architect, at a cost of £1,500, including £210 laid out by the Earl of Craven (formerly lord of the manor) in the repairs and restoration of the chancel: there are 474 sittings.
The parish register of St. Andrew's dates from the year 1662.