St. James, Finchampstead, Berkshire
The church of St. James is an ancient fabric, partly Norman, consisting of chancel, with semi-circular apse, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, the sixth bell having been added Dec. 8th, 1885, by voluntary subscriptions of the parishioners, to celebrate the 80th birthday of the Rev. Edward St. John LL.B. rector, 1840-92: in the church are various monuments, a curious brass to Elizabeth, daughter and heir to John Taylor, of Finchampstead, gent. and wife of John Blighe, ob. 1635, and to her daughter, Jane; and another brass to the wife of the Rev. Edward St. John, d. 1850: the church was thoroughly repaired and reseated in 1856 and again restored in 1914: there are 260 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1653.