UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Michael and St. Mary Magdalene, Easthampstead, Berkshire

Description

The church of St. Michael and St. Mary Magdalene, built on the site of the old church, and opened in May, 1867, is a building in the Early Continental Gothic style, from designs by Mr. Hugall, architect, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south transept, south porch, baptistery and a square tower with four pinnacles containing 6 bells: the south transept belongs to the Hill family: the windows are stained and include one in the north aisle to Caroline Frances late Dowager Marchioness of Downshire, d. 10 May, 1893, and also one in the north aisle to the memory of the wife and son of Col. Peard: Italian marble has been freely introduced in the decorative work of the interior: the chancel fittings are of oak, and a sedile is formed on the north side by the elongation of the window sill; double sedilia occupy the south window: the communion table is of oak: the pulpit, on a stone base, is composed of portions of that fixed in the old church in 1631: in 1876 a stained east window, designed by the late Sir Edward C. Burne-Jones bart. was inserted as a memorial to Arthur (Hill) Marquess of Downshire, who died 31st March, 1874: the roof was re-tiled in 1898: there are 340 sittings: an ancient yew tree of very remarkable growth, standing near the church, measures 63 feet in circumference.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.9

St. Michael and St. Mary Magdalene
Easthampstead
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Oxford
Built:1867
Sittings:340
Graveyard:Yes