UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wellington College chapel, Crowthorne, Berkshire

Description

Wellington College chapel, an exquisite building, erected from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. stands at the south-east angle of the college, with which it is connected by a cloister: the style is Gothic, with some characteristics of the Gothic of North Italy, and the edifice is remarkable both for the beauty of its proportions & the delicate finish of its details: from the roof an elegant and richly decorated "flêche" of oak and zinc rises to a height of 120 feet: the east end of the chapel terminates in an apse, round which, both within and without, runs an arcade, continued outside along both sides of the chapel: the carving throughout the building is very elaborate, and chiefly represents groups of natural flowers, especially those growing in the neighbourhood: a finely-carved oak screen and stalls were erected in memory of the Prince Consort, one of whose last public acts was to lay the foundation stone of the chapel. In 1885-6 the chapel was enlarged by the addition of a north transept and aisle, from designs by the late Sir A. W. Blomfield M.A., A.R.A., F.S.A. with arcading similar to that on the south side, and in 1898 a similar transept was thrown out on the south side, in memory of the late Archbishop Benson, the first Head Master of the College.

Wellington College chapel
Crowthorne
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Graveyard:No