UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Mary, Bucklebury, Berkshire

Description

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of chalk and flint, consisting of, chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells and a clock; two new bells, the gift of Mrs. Palmer, were added in 1915; the greater part of the chancel seems to have been rebuilt in 1705, by Sir Henry Winchcombe bart.: the nave is divided from the aisle by an arcade of three Pointed Transition Norman arches; the aisle itself is Perpendicular, as also is the tower, which has a good eastern arch; in the chancel are several monuments to the families of Packer and Winchcombe-Hartley, and to Frances, first wife of Henry St. John, the celebrated Viscount Bolingbroke; she died previous to 1718; the south doorway is a beautiful specimen of Norman work, with highly-wrought zigzag mouldings and shafts with sculptured caps: the church was restored in 1912 at a cost of £500, and a new east window, the gift of Mrs. N. K. Webley Parry, was put in at the same time; there is an ancient church chest; the church affords 350 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register, including that of Marlston, dates from the year 1538, and is said to be one of the oldest and best kept in the county; it contains a list of the vicars of Bucklebury from 1303 to the present time.

St. Mary
Bucklebury
Berkshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Oxford
Sittings:350
Graveyard:Yes