UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Buckland, Berkshire


The church of St. Mary is a cruciform building of stone, with a battlemented nave of the late Norman period, chancel rebuilt in the 14th century, transepts, north transeptal chapel, south porch and a central embattled tower containing a clock and 6 bells; the tenor is dated 1721, the treble was given by W. Graham Niven esq, in 1898, and the others date from 1636: the chancel has a panelled oak roof with carved bosses, and on the south side are sedilia and piscina: there is a small but excellently carved marble slab representing the "Adoration of the Shepherds;" and adjoining is a sepulchre containing an altar tomb and a bracket: a triangular inclosed niche on the north side contains a curious casket enclosing the heart of William Holcot, whose ancestors owned the manor of Barcote from 1292 to 1575, and some records of the family are inscribed on a mural monument in the south transept: Holcot himself was a lay preacher after the Reformation, but recanted to escape persecution in the reign of Mary, and by his will directed his heart to be interred here: there are four stained windows in the chancel, and one in the nave, erected in 1896 by William Niven esq. F.S.A. late of Carswell, in memory of his wife: in the north transept is a brass to John Yate esq. and Mary (Justice), his wife, ob. 1578, with effigies of both and of 12 children: there is also a mural monument of marble to Sir Edward Yate bart. who died c. 1645. and to members of his family, who recorded their pedigree and arms at the Visitation of 1664-6; in the nave are numerous tablets to the Southby family, of Carswell, dating from 1603, and whose pedigree is found in the same Visitation; both transepts contain a piscina: the south porch still retains its original oak door: the font is Perpendicular: in 1890 a new vestry and organ chamber were erected, and an organ and brass eagle lectern presented by the late W. West esq. J.P. the latter being a memorial to his wife, Clara Jane, d. 1888, and in 1892 the Barcote aisle was elaborately decorated in glass mosaic by Messrs. John Powell and Sons, of Whitefriars, London, at the cost of the late William West esq. J.P. of Barcote, the whole work being intended to illustrate the praise of God by His created works: the aisle has been repaved with colored marbles, and provided with oak benches, finely carved: the church was restored in 1870 by subscription, and has 400 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1679.

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England