St. Michael, Aston Tirrold, Berkshire
The church of St. Michael is a building of flint with stone dressings, and appears to have been originally of Saxon or very Early Norman date: it consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: both rood-loft doors remain, but the stairs are walled up: a modern copy of an ancient screen stretches across the arch, converting the lower stage into a baptistery: the chancel was restored in 1913 in memory of the Rev. Sir John Leigh Hoskyns bart. M.A. rector 1845-1912, to whose memory a new vestry was also erected. The south door has a round head, resting on simple jambs, with a moulded fillet: the porch is Decorated, and was formerly open timbered, but has been plastered up; outside the north aisle is an ancient doorway, possibly Saxon, with plain hollowed corbels, and walled up; within it is a fine stone coffin lid, bearing an elegant but partially mutilated foliaged cross; the priests' door on the south side of the chancel has graceful Early English shafts with foliaged caps: the windows on the south and west of the transepts are Decorated; on the east side are two cusped lancets; the west window is Late Perpendicular; the east window, a Decorated work, with ogee head, is partially filled with stained glass in memory of Mark Robert Taylor esq. of Aston and Blewbury, who died November 8, 1868, and lies buried with Catherine Mason, his wife (d. June 16, 1872), on the south side of the churchyard: there are other tombs in the churchyard to Frances Boyfield, relict of Commodore Sir John Peyton K.C.B., R.N.; to the Herbert family, 1810-72; and to the families of Curtis, Beckinsale, Munday, Lane and Gale: there are 200 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1720.