UK Genealogy Archives logo

The Holy Cross, Bury, Huntingdonshire

Description

The church of the Holy Cross, standing on an eminence, and originally cruciform, is a building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, now consisting only of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower: a fine Norman arch divides the chancel from the nave: in the nave is an ancient oak lectern, probably of the 14th century: the tower is a good specimen of Early English work, with bold buttresses at the angles; the three disengaged sides of the tower have arches supported on rich corbels, but on the north and south sides these arches have been rudely walled up: in 1889 the interior was thoroughly restored: there are about 200 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1561.

The Holy Cross
Bury
Huntingdonshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Ely
Sittings:200
Graveyard:Yes