UK Genealogy Archives logo

Holy Ghost, Yeovil, Somerset

Description

The Catholic church, dedicated to the Holy Ghost, stands at the junction of the Avenue and Higher Kingston: it was begun in 1894, and completed in 1899, from designs by the Very Rev. Canon A. J. C. Scoles, and is a building of Ham stone, in the Early English style, consisting of nave, with semi-decagonal apsidal sanctuary, aisle with Lady chapel, sacristy with spacious organ loft above and a turret over 70 feet high, containing one bell: the church is supported by massive buttresses, relieved by niches filled with statues of saints, and has an altar of fine marbles: adjoining is a presbytery and opposite the entrance is a 13th century crucifix, which stood in the churchyard of St. John the Baptist until about the 16th century, and was discovered in that church during the re-building in 1854.

Holy Ghost
Yeovil
Somerset

Denomination:Roman Catholic
Built:1894