St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a fine cruciform building of stone, in the Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, north porch and an embattled tower rising over the north transept and containing 5 bells: the chancel arch is Norman: there are three fine piscinæ, two of these being double; in the chancel are two lowside windows and a fine recumbent effigy of John Strode, gent. ob. 1725, and the south transept contains the effigy of a priest vested, and has nine small stained windows, erected in 1877, by John Winter Walter esq. in memory of his wife and children: in the north transept is a memorial window, erected in 1881, by the Rev. Frederick Shepherd M.A. vicar 1875-84, in remembrance of his wife: the pulpit is a fine specimen of carved oak of the Jacobean period: a new organ was placed in the north transept in 1904: there are sittings for 300 persons.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.