St. Mary the Virgin, Norton sub Hamdon, Somerset
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building of Ham stone, in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock with chimes and 6 bells: the porch is of much earlier date than the church: the stained east window was erected in 1801 as a memorial to Mrs. Maria Quantock, of Chilton Cantelo, and John Henry, her only son, both of whom were buried in the vaults of this church on the same day; on the south side is a memorial window, erected in 1874, to the Rev. Naunton Lemuel Shuldham, his wife and two children; and there is another, placed in 1904, to commemorate the golden wedding of Charles and Susan Trask: the church was restored in 1862, at a cost of about £1,200, but on the 29th of July, 1894, it was struck by lightning, causing a fire which greatly damaged the tower, the bells and clock, and the font was also smashed by a falling beam; the total damage amounted to £1,600; the tower has since been restored and the bells, clock and font renewed: the western doors of carved wood were presented by the late Charles Trask esq.; there are sittings for 400 persons.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.