UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. John the Evangelist, Milborne Port, Somerset

Description

The church of St. John the Evangelist is a cruciform edifice of local stone, with Hamhill stone dressings, in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel with aisle, now used as a vestry, nave of five bays, north aisle, transepts and a central embattled tower, with pinnacles, and containing 8 bells: the tower is supported by massive Norman piers and arches, but the upper stage is Perpendicular: the stair turret, the various stages of which are in turn circular, octangular and hexagonal, exhibits on the exterior remains of herring-bone work: the south doorway is also a fine example of Early Norman work, with billet moulding: the chancel retains a piscina, credence shelf and two arched recesses, and on the exterior south wall are remains of very early arcading, and a low side window: the chancel is divided from the nave by an ancient carved and traceried oak screen of Perpendicular date with a coved cornice: the stained west window, inserted by subscription, at a cost of £300, exhibits scenes from the early life of Our Saviour, and there are several others: the pulpit and chancel stalls are of oak: in the south transept within an arch is a recumbent effigy, and here also is a piscina; in the north transept are monuments to the Medlycott and other families: chained copies of Jewel's "Apology of the Church of England" and Erasmus's "Paraphrase of the New Testament" are preserved in the vestry: the church plate includes a chalice of Elizabethan date, a small and ancient paten, one of the 17th century, and a modern flagon: the church was restored in 1867-9, when most of the edifice, except the chancel and tower, was rebuilt, at a cost of £3,000, under the direction of Mr. Henry Hall, architect, of London, and the nave was lengthened westward about 28 feet: in 1908 the chancel was restored and partly rebuilt by the lay rector at a cost of about £700, and has also been refurnished and considerably beautified by other members of the Medlycott family; in the same year the tower was thoroughly restored and made secure, so that bell ringing, after a discontinuance for forty years, has been again resumed, the bells having been rehung in a new oak frame and the tenor recast at a cost of £330, the total cost of the restoration, including heating and lighting, being £1,290: an organ was provided in 1912 at a cost of £550: the church is seated with open benches for 400 persons. The church house adjoining the church was erected in 1897, at a cost of £600, and is used for classes and parochial purposes.

St. John the Evangelist, Milborne PortSt. John the Evangelist, Milborne Port
Nave of St. John the Evangelist, Milborne PortChancel aisle of St. John the Evangelist, Milborne Port

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1538.

St. John the Evangelist
Milborne Port
Somerset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bath & Wells
Sittings:400
Graveyard:Yes