UK Genealogy Archives logo

St Mary, Ilminster, Somerset

Description

The church of St. Mary is a noble cruciform building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, north and south porches and a western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: at the west end of the nave is a large new gallery of oak, the front of which is handsomely carved: in the north transept, which forms a lady chapel, is an altar tomb with brasses to Sir William Wadham and his mother (in widow's attire), c. 1440; these include effigies of both under a triple canopy, with embattled entablature, marginal inscription, now mutilated, and eight Latin verses: here also is another altar tomb with brasses to Nicholas Wadham, of Merifield, Somerset, ob. 1609, with effigy in armour, and his widow Dorothy, ob. 1618, also with effigy; these were the founders in 1610 of Wadham College, Oxford: the east and west windows and five others are stained: the chancel was restored in 1883 at the expense of the late V. H. Vaughan-Lee esq.: the reredos, in Beer stone, was the gift of Col. A. V. H. Vaughan-Lee in memory of his father and mother: the church was partly restored in the years 1887-89, at a total cost of £2,388, and further, in 1902, at a cost of £1,500: it now affords sittings for over 600 persons.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1660.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ilminster 1662-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.

Photographs

St. Mary, Ilminster
St. Mary, Ilminster
© UK Genealogy Archives

Nave of St. Mary, Ilminster
Nave of St. Mary, Ilminster
© UK Genealogy Archives

thumbnail image

St Mary
Ilminster
Somerset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bath & Wells
Sittings:600
Graveyard:Yes