UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Congar, Badgworth, Somerset

Description

The church of St. Congar is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower, which was restored in 1909, and containing 5 bells, the second bearing the inscription "Sancte Rafael, ora pro nobis;" the third bears "Benedictum sit nomen domini:" in 1864 the chancel was rebuilt in the Decorated style, the body of the church repaired, the founder's tomb and a piscina was rebuilt in the chancel wall, the gallery removed and the western arch thrown open; in the course of the work it was discovered that the original stone pulpit, ornamented with curious but much mutilated carved figures, had formed the pedestal of the later pulpit: in 1873 an organ was introduced and slightly enlarged in 1888: there are several mural tablets to former rectors, two stained windows, some fine old oak of 16th century date and an Early English font: there are 170 sittings. A new burial ground was added to the churchyard and consecrated in 1896.

St. Congar, BadgworthNave of St. Congar, Badgworth

Church Records

The register dates from 1671.

St. Congar
Badgworth
Somerset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bath & Wells
Sittings:170
Graveyard:Yes