St. Bartholomew, Crewkerne, Somerset
The church of St. Bartholomew is a handsome cruciform building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and a lofty embattled central tower with angle turrets containing a clock with chimes, provided in 1902, at a cost of £250, and 8 bells, recast and rehung, and two new ones added in 1894, at a cost of £600, of which amount C. W. Haslock esq. and the late Messrs. W. Sparks and G. Joliff contributed £400: this church is believed to stand on the site of a church mentioned in "Domesday," and dedicated to St. Stephen; all traces of the Saxon church, and of any Norman building which may have succeeded it, are entirely gone, but evidences appear of a church of the 13th century, and from certain peculiarities of the place and arrangements it would seem probable that the present church has portions of that church incorporated with it: there are remains of ancient stained glass in some of the windows: the stained east window is a memorial to Mr. J. Hussey and his wife, and there are others to the Wills family, and to the Rev. H. T. Breay B.A. vicar 1877-80, and to Miss Ramsay: the church was generally restored, with the exception of the chancel, in 1887-9, at a cost of £3,3157, of which sum the late Major Sparks, of Crewkerne, contributed £700: in 1893, two readers' stalls and 24 bench ends, all of carved oak, were erected: the whole chancel was restored and decorated in 1899 by the Hussey family: in 1903 a reredos of stone was erected by Miss Hussey: in 1904 the carved oak fan vaulting in the tower lantern was presented by an anonymous donor, and in 1906 a new organ was presented at a cost of £2,000 by Miss Sparks: the church will seat 800 persons.
The parish register dates from the year 1585.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Crewkerne 1559-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.