UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Thomas à Becket, South Cadbury, Somerset

Description

The church of St. Thomas à Becket is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with south aisle, nave of three bays, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, rehung in 1908 at a cost of £200: the pulpit and font are of Bath stone: in the aisle is a piscina and a hagioscope; five of the windows are stained, and include one with a figure of Thomas à Becket: in 1874 the church (with the exception of the tower) was restored and reseated with open benches of carved oak and a stone reredos erected at a cost of £1,164, the font has an octagonal basin, with panelled sides in quatrefoils and stands on a square base: there are sittings for 150 persons: in the church is an unbroken list of rectors from the year 1310.

St. Thomas à Becket, South CadburyNave of St. Thomas à Becket, South Cadbury

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1560.

St. Thomas à Becket
South Cadbury
Somerset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bath & Wells
Sittings:150
Graveyard:Yes