UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Andrew, Ansford, Somerset

Description

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 4 bells: in 1889 an organ was presented by the present rector; the church, with the exception of the tower, was restored and enlarged in 1861, when a memorial window to the Woodforde family was erected in the chancel: in 1895 another memorial window was erected to the Right Rev. Lord Arthur Charles Hervey D.D. bishop of Bath and Wells 1869-94, and one in 1896 by the rector as a memorial to his sister; there are others to Mrs. McKerrow (1899) and Mr. Woodforde (1900), and one presented in 1909 by Mrs. Newport: an organ chamber was built in 1898: the church contains a list of rectors from the year 1328: the church affords 150 sittings. The churchyard was renovated and new gates and walls erected in 1893. The ancient churchyard cross was restored by the then rector in 1904.

St Andrew AnsfordNave of St Andrew Ansford

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1554.

St. Andrew
Ansford
Somerset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bath & Wells
Sittings:150
Graveyard:Yes