UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Mary the Virgin, Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire

Description

The small church of St. Mary the Virgin, a building of Norman foundation, is of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and a western tower with conical spire containing one bell, dated 1596: over the chancel arch is a turret, which until 1787 had 2 bells: the Norman south door still exists: there is an ancient Perpendicular stone pulpit, partially formed by an arched recess in the wall, and restored about 1898: the church will seat 120 persons: in the churchyard are thirteen Anglo-Norman tombs, ranging from the 12th to the 13th century.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1707.

St. Mary the Virgin
Limpley Stoke
Wiltshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Built:12th c.
Sittings:120
Graveyard:Yes