UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Peter, Codford St Peter, Wiltshire

Description

The church of St. Peter, originally consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells, was restored in 1864, a north aisle added, and the old chancel arch replaced by a Pointed arch of fine proportions, on carved corbels supported by Devonshire marble shafts; at the same period the chancel was rebuilt in the Early English style, three ancient sedilia, which belonged to the old chancel, being replaced: the communion table, which is of oak, was given by Bishop Hamilton, of Salisbury: a lectern of oak and gilt iron work was presented in 1897 in memory of the late Alfred Blake: there is a fine Early Norman font, richly sculptured: and in the chancel is preserved some carved stone work discovered in 1864, and presumed to be of Saxon date: there are several memorial stained windows and brasses, also a hatchment of H.R.H. the late Duke of Albany: the church was decorated in 1891, and in 1898 the foundations of the tower and east end were renewed: in 1906 massive balustraded oak altar rails were fixed at a cost of £55, as a memorial to the late Miss Charlotte Anderson: in 1907 the baptistery was panelled and seated in oak at a cost of £ 45: the window in the north aisle is in memory of Mrs. Sarah Wrightwick; the oak screen was given by Capt. Houston: the church will seat about 225 persons: the churchyard was enlarged in 1889.

St. Peter, Codford St. PeterNave of St. Peter, Codford St. Peter

Church Records

The registers date from the year 1597.

thumbnail image

St. Peter
Codford St Peter
Wiltshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:225
Graveyard:Yes