UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. George, Fordington, Dorset

Description

The parish church of St George, Fordington, standing on an eminence, is an ancient edifice of stone, containing work of the Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular periods, and originally cruciform, but now consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 6 bells, on the tympanum over the inner door of the south porch is represented the vision of St. George at the battle of Antioch, rudely carved in stone: the church has been enlarged and restored at a cost of £4,000: the church affords 650 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1705. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Fordington St. George, 1577-1812 is online.

St. George
Fordington
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:650
Graveyard:Yes