UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Laurence, Affpuddle, Dorset

Description

The parish church of St Laurence is an ancient edifice of stone and flint, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a Decorated embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 4 bells; it was originally appropriated to the Abbey of Cerne, and at the dissolution of that house the vicarage was given to Thomas Lyllyngton, one of the monks of Cerne, who caused the beautiful carved oak pulpit and seats to be erected in the church, on the end of one of which is a carved inscription with the date 1548: there is also a Norman font; the trefoil arch of the south entrance to the church dates from 1220: the stained east window is a memorial to Henry Frampton esq. of Moreton House: the church was restored in 1878, and has 200 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1731. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. Laurence
Affpuddle
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:200
Graveyard:Yes