UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Peter, Great Cheverell, Wiltshire

Description

The church of St. Peter is an ancient edifice of stone, mainly in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with turret, containing 5 bells and an ancient clock, remodelled in 1897 in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee: in the chancel is an ancient piscina and two small deeply splayed lancets, filled with stained glass in memory of the Rev. Edward Gunner, rector of this parish for 20 years, and who died in 1885: there is a handsome marble monument in the north transept to James Townsend, d. 1750, and wife; and a tablet in the nave to Sir James Stonehouse bart. d. 1795: the transept was repaired in 1699, and the church restored and reseated in 1868 at a cost of about £500: a stained east window was inserted in 1909: there are 158 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1653.

St. Peter
Great Cheverell
Wiltshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:158
Graveyard:Yes