UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Nicholas, Abbotsbury, Dorset


The parish church of St Nicholas is an ancient fabric of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and a fine embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung in 1898: over the western door is a curious figure emblematic of the Trinity - an old man in a sitting posture, with a crucifix between his knees and a dove at his right ear: the pulpit is beautifully carved: the stained east window was presented by Mary Countess of Ilchester to the memory of her husband, Henry Edward Fox-Strangeways, 5th Earl of Ilchester, d. 1905: the church was reseated in 1886, and affords 450 sittings: in the graveyard are several stone coffins.

Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1795. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by and made available on their site (subscription required).


St. Nicholas, Abbotsbury
St. Nicholas, Abbotsbury
© UK Genealogy Archives

Nave of St. Nicholas, Abbotsbury
Nave of St. Nicholas, Abbotsbury
© UK Genealogy Archives

thumbnail image

St. Nicholas

Denomination:Church of England