St. Michael, Betchworth, Surrey
Description
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, with a tower containing 8 bells: there is a fine brass to William Wordsworth, formerly vicar of this parish, dated 1533, and a palimpsest brass shield, found amongst rubbish in the churchyard, and now in the British Museum, presents on the more ancient face a merchant's mark, and on the obverse the arms of the FitzAdrians, who held the manor of Brockham in this parish under the Warrens: there is also an ancient oak chest and a pulpit of marble and glass mosaic, the gift of Joseph Maynard esq, in 1885: there is a monument to Abraham Tucker, author of "The Light of Nature," who formerly resided at Betchworth Castle: the church affords 400 sittings.
Church Records
The register dates from the year 1558.
