St. Mary, Barnes, Surrey
Description
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone and flint, with an Early English chancel, and a western tower of red brick with stone quoins, originally dating from the 15th century and containing 8 bells: in the church is a brass dated 1508; a monument of white marble to Sir Richard Hoare bart. of Barn Elms, d. 11 Oct. 1787; and a memorial to the late Vice-Chancellor Sir Lancelot Shadwell kt. d. 10 Aug. 1850: on the exterior south wall of the nave is a stone tablet, inscribed to Edward Rose, a citizen of London, who died in 1653, and left to the poor of the parish £20 to buy an acre of land, on condition that the tablet should be maintained with a rose tree growing beneath it: in 1906 the church was enlarged by the addition of a north aisle and the rebuilding of the chancel. In the churchyard is a fine yew tree.
Church Records
The register of St. Mary, for baptisms and burials dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1540.
