UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Martin of Tours, Winterborne St Martin, Dorset

Description

The parish church of St. Martin is an ancient edifice of stone, in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: two ancient stone shafts are placed on either side of the altar, and there is an ancient Norman font: the eastern end appears to have been rebuilt at a much later period than the remainder of the church: the restoration of the church, commenced in 1896, was completed in 1907: there are 250 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1653. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

thumbnail image

St. Martin of Tours
Winterborne St Martin
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:250
Graveyard:Yes