SS. Peter and Paul, Brampton, Derbyshire
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an embattled edifice, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a tower with octagonal broach spire, containing 5 bells with inscriptions, a sanctus bell in a bell-cot over the eastern gable of the nave, and a new clock, provided in April, 1898, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria: of the church existing here prior to 1253 there is at least one relic in the Norman doorway of the south porch, which on the inside becomes Early English, the two styles being intermixed: the south porch, with the tower and spire, and some buttresses of the chancel are Decorated: the exterior walls exhibit various singular stone figures of Early English date, including effigies under canopies of SS. Peter and Paul: the north aisle retains a piscina with a trefoiled head: the chancel has a flat Perpendicular roof, the east window and two others on the south being of the same period: in the wall at the west end of the nave is a stone slab with inscription, in Lombardic characters, to Matilda le Caus, probably the heiress of that barony, who died in 1224: through a quatrefoil opening at its upper end appear the head and shoulders of a female in bas-relief, and a narrow oblong opening at the bottom discloses the feet and lower part of the drapery: there are monuments of the 17th and 18th centuries to the Clarkes of Somersall, and beneath one of these a small brass to Nicholas Clarke of Brampton, ob. 1589: an eagle lectern of carved oak and a brass font ewer were presented in 1898 by the Barnes family: the church was restored in 1868 at a cost of £700, when the tower arch was opened, the aisle arches repaired, and tracery restored to the clerestory windows, and underwent further restoration in 1889-91, at a cost of £1,850: there are 330 sittings. In the churchyard, near the priest's door, lies an Early English sepulchral slab, sculptured with foliage. A memorial window was erected in 1903, by his family, to Mr. Alfred Barnes, for many years churchwarden.
The register dates from the year 1658.