All Saints, Brailsford, Derbyshire
The church of All Saints, a building of stone in the Norman style, stands by itself a short distance from the village, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and a lofty embattled tower at the west end containing a fine peal of 5 bells, dating from 1717 to 1816: an arcade of three circular arches divides the south aisle from the nave, but the piers are Decorated: at the west end of the aisle is a blocked circular arch with a massive Norman pillar, crowned by a spreading capital ornarnented with tooth-mouldings, a smaller pillar supporting the, north side of the chancel arch: the chancel is a good specimen of the Decorated work prevailing between 1300 and 1320, and is enriched with six stained windows, the east window being the gift of Henry and Walter Bowden esqrs.: the tower is a late but well-built example of the Perpendicular style, c. 1500, and the porch dates generally from 1629, the inner door with its massive iron work and lock being of the 16th century: the font, an octagon, is a Perpendicular work, and bears the Tudor rose: there are three sedilia and a piscina with credence shelf, and in the opposite wall an almery: at the west end of the aisle are ten massive oaken benches of admirable construction, about 400 years old, and in the north wall of the chancel a sepulchral recess, used probably as an Easter sepulchre: the aisle has also an early incised slab of the 12th century: on the south side of the church are the remains of the old churchyard cross consisting of one step only and a base, and an ancient yew tree: the church was partially restored in 1862, when a vestry was added; and the restoration was completed in 1886, when the gallery was removed and the church reseated, the cost being £1,040: the silver communion plate is dated 1732: there are now 250 sittings.
The register of All Saints dates from the year 1647: the early registers are in an excellent state of preservation, and, contrary to general experience, were kept with unusual care and accuracy during the Commonwealth period.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Brailsford 1653-1812 is available to browse online.