UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Wilfred, Barrow upon Trent, Derbyshire

Description

The church of St. Wilfrid is a venerable edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western embattled tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, dated 1613: in the church is an ancient monument, very much broken and defaced, bearing the recumbent effigy of a man with a dog at his feet, but without date or inscription: there is also a brass to Elizabeth, wife of Henry Milwarde, of Sinfin (1610), and to her husband (1615), erected by their youngest son, John, and in the chancel a monument to Richard Sale, dated 1661, and a memorial window to Richard Sale and his wife, and remains of a piscina niche: a new marble pulpit was erected in 1894 by the Sale family: there are 157 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1657.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Barrow-on-Trent and Twyford 1657-1812, is available to browse online.

St. Wilfred
Barrow upon Trent
Derbyshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Southwell
Sittings:157
Graveyard:Yes