UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. James, Barlborough, Derbyshire

Description

The church of St. James is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and an embattled western tower with 8 pinnacles and containing a clock and 5 bells, two of which are of early date, with inscriptions in coarse Gothic characters; the latest was cast in 1725: the nave is separated from the aisles by an arcade of 4 semi-circular Norman arches on three piers: the chancel arch is Early English, as are also probably parts of the tower, the west front of which bears the arms of Goushill and Longford, but the battlements and pinnacles are Debased Perpendicular; in the chancel is a monument to Sir Richard Pipe, Lord Mayor of London, and patron of this church, ob. 19 Sept. 1587: the east window is a memorial to Miss Mary Alderson; in 1899 the south side of the nave was pulled down and a south aisle constructed; the interior was also entirely refitted, a new organ provided and a vestry built, at a cost of about £2,400; there are 400 sittings.

Church Records

The registers date from the year 1648, for all entries; these records are in good condition.

St. James
Barlborough
Derbyshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Southwell
Sittings:400
Graveyard:Yes