UK Genealogy Archives logo

All Saints, Ashover, Derbyshire


The church of All Saints, begun about 1350 and completed about 1419, is a large and beautiful edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a square embattled tower at the west end, with a spire 69 feet in height and containing a clock and 8 bells, two of which are dated 1625, and the others 1630, 1751, 1814 and 1890, the latest being the gift of F. J. Fenton esq.: in 1902 two more were added, one being given by W. Burkitt esq. and the other provided to commemorate the coronation of H.M. King Edward VII.: the monuments include a tomb to the Babington family, with life-size recumbent figures of a man and his wife, and around the sides, in small panels, figures of their numerous children: there is also a brass, now on the wall of the south aisle, bearing an inscription to Tho. Babyngton esq. of Dethik, 1518; this brass is a palimpsest, and on the reverse is another inscription to Robert Prykke, serjeant of the pantry to Margaret of Anjou, Queen of Henry VI. 1450, and his three children: on the floor, within the altar rails, is a large brass, with figures to the Bolleston family, and one to Robert Eyre, a former rector: the stained east window was inserted about 1857 by the Rev. J. Nodder; there are memorial windows to the Nodder family, erected in 1845; the Colmore family (1870) and that of Moon (1867); one, erected in 1867, by John Thompson esq. in memory of his late wife; and another in 1877, by J. B. Gregory esq. of Raven's Nest, to his parents: the brass eagle lectern was presented by Mr. and Mrs. Jessop, of Overton Hall, in memory of their eldest daughter, and the carved oak reredos in the Rolleston chapel was given by Mrs. Jessop in 1894, in memory of her husband: the font is of lead, ornamented with figures: during the years 1886-90 the interior of the church underwent various alterations and improvements, at a cost of upwards of £600, when an organ chamber was added and the north doorway and tower arch opened, and a hagioscope and part of the rood loft stairs disclosed: in 1904 the church was reseated in oak, at a cost of £1,000, subscribed by the parish: the church plate includes pieces dating from 1581 to 1725: there are 500 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register of baptisms dates from 1622, with a gap from 1623 to 1653, of burials and marriages from 1653, and these records are in good condition.

All Saints

Denomination:Church of England