St. Lawrence, Biddulph, Staffordshire
The church of St. Lawrence, on the high road to the Potteries, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: in the church are brasses to William Bowyer of Knypersley, patron of the church, 1602, his wife Ann (Heywood) 1603, and 15 children: there is also an altar tomb to Sir William Bowyer kt. dated 1640, and in a side chapel is a handsome marble monument, with life-sized figures of Our Saviour and two angels, erected in memory of Wm. and Mary, son and daughter of B. Heath esq. of Biddulph Grange: there are also two memorial windows to the same persons; a window filled with glass brought from Belgium, and various fragments of old glass representing incidents in Scripture history. The font, of Transition Norman date, is circular; it stands on four dwarf shafts and is adorned with interlaced arches. The carved oak pulpit was presented by Mrs. Heath in 1875; the organ and clock were given by the parishioners: in 1894 the church was re-seated, new floored and a new organ chamber added in memory of the late Robert Heath esq. of Biddulph Grange: there are sittings for 324 persons. In the churchyard lie a number of grave slabs incised with circular-headed crosses, swords and axes, and there is also a cross of the Late Decorated period.
The register of St. Lawrence dates from the year 1558.